Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Winter Cleaning Renovation, Pt. 1

It has been a change coming for quite some time. Ever since I started covering the presidential election back in early 2007 I've been aware that once an election ends political blogs have to "restructure" or lose many of their readers. Maintaining "The Political Courier" was one of the biggest projects I have undertaken; thousands of miles driven, hours of homework skipped to travel, photography, and write about in over 500 posts in nearly as many days. What a blast I had.

Now it comes down to a box.

This has been my day, these three boxes.

In order, my political memories and paraphernalia, a collection of tests, quizzes, high school yearbooks, etc., and a box for "misc. items of interest." 

Between these three boxes are 90% of what I will bring with me from the high school years as I prepare for college/consolidate my things in anticipation of moving off on my own one day.

I spent some time thinking about the title of that last box, "Things that Mean a Lot to Me." While the school box and political box contain the items that the most people know about, the majority of the experiences and memories I carry with me on a daily basis are in that extra box: letters, photo albums, sketches, my first learner's permit. There are countless stories worth telling buried in that box.

What began as a quick office cleaning has evolved into a formidable renovation project as I am to convert this pale yellow office into a brick-red, antique-filled, cozy library. I'm hoping to strip the awful styrofoam ceiling panels down tomorrow and get a look at the original roof that's been hiding under there for countless years.

Off to continue cleaning and sorting!

0 comments:

Back to TOP